The Top Eight Things I Love About Summertime
8. Ice cream—I understand that July is national ice cream month, and I know that it deserves a whole month of celebration. Whether it’s snowing, or the sun is blazing hot, I’ll always be happy to pick up a soft serve cone or enjoy a pint of Ben and Jerry’s.
7. Going to the movies—I always enjoy heading out to the cinema, but the best thing about catching a summer movie is that the options abound. I can see a film in a nice, air-conditioned stadium or I can watch a flick outside at the drive-in or during a town-sponsored family movie night.
6. Exercise—The best part about exercising during the summertime is the extra calorie burn. Not only can you run outside and eliminate your normal number of calories, but you can sweat off about ten more. It’s perfect.
5. Getting a tan—I try to get a little sun exposure every day. After applying sunscreen, I love to go for walks around the neighborhood or play outside at the park with my kids. Vitamin D is good for everyone—in moderation.
4. Watching TV—I remember when watching television during the summertime was taboo, but nowadays I just can’t miss two of my favorite series: “True Blood” and “The Newsroom”.
3. Attending Festivals—People tend to be happier when they are mingling with friends and family. Festivals usually bring people together and make everyone smile a little bit brighter. A lot of the festivals that my family and I have attended this summer have included the large inflatable toys for kids to use. The sumo wrestlers are my favorite.
1. Reading-I love sitting on my back porch and reading a book. This can be done in the sunshine or the shade, but either way, I enjoy kicking back and devouring a new novel. My own novels are what I would describe as the perfect books to throw in your beach bag and take down by the water. Whether you’re downloading the ebook or taking the paperback along with you, Meet Me at the Pond and Meet Me at Fountain Park are pure fun. They’ll help you relax and enjoy your vacation.
I created the Missy Lawrence Trilogy a few years ago. Currently, Meet Me at the Pond and Meet Me at Fountain Park are available in paperback and ebook editions. The third and final book in the series Meet Me at Rock Creek will be published before the end of the year. If you’ve ever been in love, or if you’re still searching for the right one, let Missy Lawrence and her gang of girlfriends entertain you (and commiserate, perhaps).
Mindy Killgrove Links and Giveaway